Opportunity Cambodia was established by the Fletcher family who cover all administrative, overseas travel and marketing costs associated with the project. This means that funds provided by donors are applied directly to the welfare and education of the children, and by working with our local partner NGO and the community we ensure that donors’ funds are used in the most effective way.
Members of Our Advisory Board are:
- The Hon Nick Greiner AC
- Emily Bradburn
- Lee Anderson
- Thida Yang
- Carolyn Fletcher AM – Founder and CEO of Opportunity Cambodia
We regard education as a fundamental human right and we recognise the key role of education as a catalyst for human development, and its impact on health, nutrition and poverty reduction.
In fact in the developing world there is widespread agreement that investment in education offers the greatest overall returns for economic development and the eradication of poverty.
The international initiative ‘Education for All’ in reviewing ‘what works’ in education initiatives in the poorer countries recognises the successes of small scale initiatives.
Our guiding principles
- focus on education and training for poor children in rural communities
- education for life – life skills and application of learning
- gender equality in education
- quality of teaching and learning
- achieving and measuring results
- small scale initiatives at community level
- working with the families, and the local community, and respecting their needs and culture
- child protection and safety
- transparency and accountability in financial and project management
Our project is supported by The Rotary Club of Sydney, and Rotary Australia World Community Service provides tax deductibility for donations to Opportunity Cambodia.
Our in-country partner is Cambodian Education and Development Fund (CEDF), a small registered Cambodian NGO based in Siem Reap. The members of the Board of CEDF are:
- Philip Set Kao – Vice President Borei Angkor Hotel
- Sokha Sam – Hotel Manager
- Piseth Has – Youth Leadership Coach
- Carolyn Fletcher – Director Opportunity Cambodia
- Philip Kiely – Director Karuna
Rob and Lee Anderson and Family are our major financial partners.